The Church of skála

The church was designed by H.C.W. Tórgarð, an architect, and was established in 1940. Before it was built, residents had to a neighboring village to attend church services. 

The church's interior windows are painted in different colors, inspired by the church in Skúvoy, which was designed by the same architect. 

However, the village did have its own church in the 17th century. It stood by the river Prestá until, one Sunday during a service, the river flooded and swept the church and everyone inside it out to sea.

Today, the river Prestá forms the heart of a beautiful recreational area with dams, ponds, and sandy surroundings. Traces of earlier activity in the area can still be seen in the grass

Contact information

Church contact person:

Asbjørn Mikkelsen

Address:

Fagralíð 28

FO-480 Skála

Phone:

+298 501105

Email:

skala@kirkja.fo

 

Opening hours:

Open by arrangement. Please contact Asbjørn Mikkelsen at +298 501105

 

Church services:

Sundays at 11:00 am